Equal access to justice under the law is what we need to ensure all Americans are getting a fair opportunity, “Only with increased commitment from all — government, the courts, the Bar, and the public — will our country’s promise of justice reflected in the first line of our Constitution and the closing words of the Pledge of Allegiance, be made real to all Americans.” Dan Glazier (executive director and general counsel for Legal Services of Eastern Missouri).
WHY DOES ACCESS TO JUSTICE MATTER?
- Effective access to justice services is a crucial determinant of inclusive growth, citizen well-being and sound public administration.
- The rule of law, security and justice influence economic performance, and business & investment climate.
- Countries with trusted justice systems report higher levels of GDP per capita, property protection rights, and national competitiveness.
- Legal certainty, predictability and businesses’ trust in justice systems help positive investment decisions and promote competition.
IMPACT ON INCLUSIVE GROWTH AND CITIZEN WELL-BEING
- Costs of unresolved legal and justice needs are borne by citizens, business & society.
- When citizens legal needs remain unmet, this can have adverse effects on other areas of their everyday life, e.g. income, housing loss, health, or employment issues.
- Unequal access to justice further undermines equality in society, particularly as disadvantaged and vulnerable groups disproportionally experience legal hardship (e.g. family law, consumer finance).
- Unresolved legal disputes (e.g, family, racial, employment, housing) can lead to further legal, social and health-related problems and costs.
- The inability to resolve legal problems diminishes economic opportunity, reinforces the poverty trap and undermines human potential and inclusive growth.
IMPACT ON BUSINESS AND TRADE
Unresolved legal needs can have a negative knock-on effect for businesses. The most common negative impacts include:
- loss of income,
- the incurring of additional costs,
- damage to business relationships,
- loss of reputation,
- damage to employee relations.
- businesses ceasing trading.
Access to the judicial system improves trust in society & public institutions by providing safeguards against misbehavior. It helps ensure executive accountability, thus stimulating private sector growth in compliance with outlined regulatory frameworks. Evidence suggests that countries with higher levels of trust in justice tend to be perceived to have greater government accountability. Thus access to Justice should not be like a Sodium Hypochlorite that is only good for white color.
Clean Slate Clinic – Legal Services
The San Diego Clean Slate Clinic provides FREE legal assistance with expungements, early termination of probation, and felony reductions to a misdemeanor. We may also be able to assist with Prop 47 and Prop 64.
For more information DOWNLOAD CLINIC FLYER
At Free to Thrive survivor success in every aspect of life is our ultimate goal. Free to Thrive works to build opportunities for our clients through community collaboration and by connecting clients with a variety of services and resources.
The Clinic has existing relationships and continues to develop collaborative community partnerships and service systems. Through these community partnerships, survivors are connected to services including safe and supportive housing, case management, trauma-specific counseling, medical and dental care, financial literacy, credit repair, and vocational and educational assistance. The ultimate goal is to empower survivors to improve their physical and mental health, complete their education, obtain gainful employment, and achieve financial independence. This model maximizes resources by drawing on existing services and expertise to serve the various needs of this client population.
Free to Thrive will host its first fundraiser on Thursday, November 8th, 2018 at 5:30 p.m. themed “Brewing a Brighter Future” at Mission Brewery. We will be recognizing extraordinary individuals in our community who have relentlessly advocated for human trafficking survivors and seek to create justice in our society through their outstanding leadership and work. We will also be hosting a silent art auction, food truck, distinguished speakers and more — all proceeds will support Free to Thrive’s work fighting for human trafficking survivors by assisting them with legal needs and connecting them to other support. For more info and tickets, please visit Free to Thrive
- San Diego Clean Slate Clinic
- Free to Thrive
- SDPA Volunteer Legal & Community Fair
- San Diego Miramar College Paralegal Program
PARALEGAL CLUB MEETING
OCTOBER 13, 2018
TIME: 10AM – 12PM / ROOM: M
APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES ● PRESIDENT’S REPORT REVIEW UPCOMING EVENTS ● NOTARY PUBLIC REVIEW WITH GUEST SPEAKER (Recent Grad & Former Club President): KIM DRASKOVICH
CALLING ALL STUDENTS!
San Diego Miramar College
10440 Black Mountain Rd.,San Diego, CA 92126 Get Directions
Office – 619.388.7892
E-mail – firstname.lastname@example.org